Home » Blog » Exporting outside the EU: which export documents are required?

    Exporting outside the EU: which export documents are required?

    Exporting stocklots to countries outside the EU involves a lot of paperwork. Exactly which documents are required depends on the product, the country of destination, and the mode of transport, among other things. We are happy to provide an overview of the various export documents so that you will not get lost in the paperwork.

    Blog 02 international stamp


    For transporting goods abroad, a transport document is required. Different kinds of documents are available, each one for a different mode of transport. You will find more information about the various transport options here.


    A customs declaration is required to export goods to a country outside the EU. For the customs declaration the goods code, also known as the HS code (Harmonized System code), of your goods is required. This is a 10-digit code which is used globally. You can find the goods code in the Tariff Manual or in the Market Access Database. Putting together a goods code may sometimes be more complicated. You can read more about this on the British Chamber of Commerce website.

    Export documents and certificates of origin

    You can request the following required export documents and certificates of origin via the Chamber of Commerce (KvK) for a fee:

    • Certificate of Origin (CvO): This certificate proves in which country a product was made. Countries outside the EU sometimes require this certificate due to import restrictions or boycotts. An advantage of a Certificate of Origin is that in some countries you pay lower import duties or none at all.
    • EUR.1/EUR-MED certificate: The EU has concluded free trade agreements with various countries. Originating products will often be exempt from import duties or will receive a discount. In order to be able to benefit, a EUR.1 or EUR-MED certificate is required.
    • Legalisation/certification of export documents: Legalising a signature or certifying a document ensures additional legal certainty in international trade. Sometimes legalisation or certification is mandatory.
    • ATA carnet: If you are temporarily exporting goods such as exhibition materials or tools for repair and service, you can avoid delays and administrative hassle with an ATA carnet. You then do not pay VAT, import duties or deposits, and the customs procedures become much simpler because you only need one document.

    In addition to the documents above, there are various other declarations which you must provide yourself, if necessary. For instance, an invoice declaration or a supplier's declaration in order to obtain a EUR.1 or EUR-MED certificate or a Certificate of Origin as a trader at the KvK. Additional export documents are also required to export goods to certain countries. You will, for instance, need an ATR certificate or an Exporter Registry Form (for certain textile products) for Turkey.


    If you would like to know more about exporting goods to countries outside the EU, download our useful whitepaper on exporting stocklots to countries outside the EU. When you are ready to export, have a look at our current range of stocklots.

    Hahebo CTA whitepaper exporting outside the EU English

    Tags: Stocklots, Exporting goods